The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of policy is:
- a : prudence or wisdom in the management of affairs b : management or procedure based primarily on material interest
- a : a definite course or method of action selected from among alternatives and in light of given conditions to guide and determine present and future decisionsb : a high-level overall plan embracing the general goals and acceptable procedures especially of a governmental body (bold emphasis added by author)
Policy impacts our lives through the multiple levels (federal, state, municipal) of government and the institutions where we work and attend school. As #BLACKandSTEM, we may encounter policy issues in the forms of debate over building a sustainable research infrastructure, the recent Supreme Court decision on affirmative action, and accessibility of STEM education to African American children – just to name a few.
Today’s #BLACKandSTEM focuses on STEM/Education policy issues and how they may impact our community differently.
I hope that today’s #BLACKandSTEM inspires positive discourse on various issues and enlightens us all on where #BLACKandSTEM can do more to inform policy makers on the issues that are important to us.
Here are the questions:
- What are STEM and/or education policy matters that are important to you right now?
- What are ways in which these issues may affect the #BLACKandSTEM community differently or disproportionately?
- What policy-related activities are you involved in?
Spin-off discussions are encouraged.
As usual, respond at your convenience through-out the day and REMEMBER TO USE THE #BLACKandSTEM HASHTAG!!
Look for the “you might be interested in STEM policy if…” post later today!
“Policy.” Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 1 May 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/policy>.